Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and it’s time to get creative and cook up some tasty treats. Get into the holiday spirit with these quick and delicious Valentine’s themed deserts.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Here’s a simple and inexpensive treat that is both healthy and sweet.
- 20 strawberries with stems
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 3 ounces white chocolate (chopped)
- Place the semisweet chocolate in one heatproof medium-sized bowl. Place the white chocolate in a separate heatproof medium-sized bowl. Place the bowls in the microwave for one minute. Remove each bowl and stir. Place bowls back in the microwave for another minute or until melted.
- Line a sheet pan with a piece of wax paper. Grab a hold of a strawberry by the stem and dip it into the melted semisweet chocolate. Pull the strawberry from the chocolate allowing the excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Place the chocolate strawberry onto the wax paper to cool and harden. Dip the remaining strawberries in the chocolate and place on the wax paper.
- Dip a fork into the bowl of white chocolate. Lightly drizzle the white chocolate over each strawberry. Allow the strawberries to harden for 30 minutes before serving.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 20 paper cupcake lines into two 12 cup muffin pans with. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until consistency is light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla, buttermilk, eggs and food coloring. Add the baking soda, vinegar, cocoa powder, flour and salt and stir until blended. Spoon the batter into each cupcake liner.
- Place the cupcake pans into the oven and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops the cupcakes spring. Remove the pan from the oven and test whether the cupcakes are done. Poke a cupcake with a toothpick. Pull the toothpick out. If batter comes with the toothpick, place the pan back into the oven until finished.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, top each cupcake with your choice of frosting. Cream cheese or vanilla frosting taste best with red velvet.
Serve and Enjoy
Arrange the cupcakes on a nice red or heart shaped platter. Give chocolate covered strawberries to your loved one as part of Valentine’s Day gift. Share red velvet cupcakes with family and friends. Cupcakes also make for a great treat to bring to the office on this special holiday. Enjoy!